When a lawyer’s primary work is discussed, all that comes to our mind is them attending trials in court, studying on each case, collecting relevant information and interacting with clients for in-depth analysis. But one often ignores that emails, phone calls, social media management, administrative works, preparation of paper documents, all that is included in the lawyer’s worklist too. in such cases, big law firms seek on hiring a legal assistant in-house to perform such tasks. But what about solo practitioners, or small firms, who always face budget constraint or don’t have time to manage the recruiting process?
The age is digital. At a time where technology is providing us aid with even smallest of our chores, lawyers can find help in their tasks too, with the help of virtual legal assistants.
Virtual legal assistants are professionals who work remotely for our law firms from anywhere in the country, without needing any infrastructure, tools, or other benefits from us. These virtual assistants work on hourly basis, implying they are cost-effective too.
Virtual legal assistants came into existence when it became important for people to stay connected from a distance and accomplish tasks within a limited period of time.
A few benefits of hiring virtual legal assistants are as follows-
1. Being a busy attorney clearly means that we do not have enough time. Our schedules are jammed up with continuous tasks. Investing in virtual legal assistants not only lowers the burden for us, but is also time and money effective. As an attorney, now we don’t have to manage the non-core activities, or focus on paying employee benefits. We will no longer need to provide the required software to the employees, or the infrastructure cost, and a lot more. With so much relief, we will easily be able to focus on core legal aspects and save money on unnecessary expenses.
2. Virtual legal assistant is always equipped with every latest technology, hence providing us with immense benefits. These are efficient, quick and provide accurate services in no time. The burden of focusing on team management will be reduced for the lawyers.
3. Hiring virtual legal assistant provides top-notch customer experience to the clients. They help in delivering all the promises to the clients and ensure none of them is forgotten, a situation which mostly occurs in law firms. Virtual legal assistants keep in touch with clients by sending them emails on festivals or birthdays and more. Virtual legal assistants stay one step ahead in every aspect of their professionalism, right from picking up calls of the clients to administration work.
4. Working with a virtual legal assistant seems like having a human next to us performing or handling all our tasks in one go. They look after every activity like management of legal documents or contracts, client management, legal research, etc., enhancing the overall efficiency of our law firm.
5. An issue faced by most of the solo practitioners and small law firms is that they often struggle hard in the initial years and become more of a working person. This eventually impacts the family life. But with a virtual legal assistant, one can take a sigh of relief as virtual legal assistants ensure that the firm’s work is on track and nothing slips out.
Now the question arises, what legal task can be outsourced with the help of a virtual legal assistant?
While it generally depends on the legal firm’s requirement, it is important to evaluate our needs and then opt for a virtual legal assistant. All this while, our focus remains on getting those tasks performed by the virtual assistant, which can result in strengthening the core functions of the law firm. However, below are some tasks that legal firms usually outsource.
Legal research and writing- these are core functions in every legal process, without legal research, none of the lawyers can get complete knowledge about their case, resulting them in losing the case. But, the process of legal research and writing is time-consuming and labour-intensive process. Therefore, opting for virtual legal research and writing services is an ideal choice as these experts hold a professional degree and are equipped with relevant tools to make the entire process seamless.
Contract review and management- Lawyers are always messed up with legal contracts as they are professional with knowledge of legal terms and conditions. So, every business hire lawyers to review their contracts. This increases the burden of law firms. Thus, hiring a virtual legal assistant for contract review and management turns out to be a viable solution
Legal accounting- Managing accounting books is not easy for lawyers. They lack skills and knowledge of handling accounting books. In such a scenario, outsourcing legal accounting to virtual legal assistants can be of great help, as managing finances is complex, time-consuming and require expertise. Virtual legal assistants keep the books up-to-date and give access to lawyers so that they can review their statements whenever they want.
Paralegal- Paralegal includes the tasks of managing and collecting evidence for any lawsuit, administration, responding to emails, calls, and a lot more. Hiring a virtual paralegal assistant can prove to be really helpful for legal firms. Hence, virtual paralegals services can manage all these chores within the firm’s budget and in no time.
Legal data entry- Data entry is a critical process in every business sector, and surely it does not exempt the legal industry too. A firm spending its maximum time on such a non-core task will eventually hamper its growth. As a result, outsourcing legal data entry to a reliable virtual assistant will ensure that all our data is accurate and in the required format, making further processes seamless.
Follow LexTalk World for more news and updated from International Legal Industry.